A 28-year-old man was arrested by the SHAHU Nagar police on Monday in connection with an LPG cylinder leak and ensuing fire at a slum construction in Dharavi’s Shahu Nagar on Sunday afternoon, injuring 17 persons.
The cylinder did not explode, according to the police, but the gas leak from the cylinder caught fire, causing burn injuries to the 17 people, including an eight-year-old. Five people were badly injured and were admitted to the hospital with 50-60% burn injuries.
Mohamed Miraj Siddiqui, a labourer, was removing the cylinder from his one-story home after his wife informed him that it was leaking. The cylinder slid from his grip and landed on the lane.
The fire was started when someone dropped a cigarette near the leaking cylinder. Siddiqui left the neighbourhood with his wife and child after the incident, fearing an attack, according to the preliminary findings.
On Monday, a magistrate judge granted him bail. The authorities have asked that he present paperwork proving that the cylinder was acquired legally.
He’s been charged with violating the IPC’s Sections 337 (endangering lives), 338 (grievous hurt endangering life), and 285 (negligent conduct with respect to fire or combustible matter).