HomeEnergyIndian Official: No Proposal Received for Exxon's 'Sakhalin-1' Stake Purchase

Indian Official: No Proposal Received for Exxon’s ‘Sakhalin-1’ Stake Purchase

-

India did not get any proposals to buy a stake in Exxon’s new oil and gas project operator “Sakhalin-1”; thus, it did not pursue this option. During the Abu Dhabi International Petroleum Exhibition and Conference (ADIPEC) oil and gas show, Pankaj Jain, the Secretary of India’s Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas, shared this information with the media.

“We have not received such an offer,” he said.

A ministry spokesman mentioned that India is participating in multiple oil projects in Russia, one of which is “Sakhalin-1,” and that India also holds a share in the project.

At the end of September, the Russian government approved guidelines allowing Exxon to evaluate and sell its part in “Sakhalin-1.” Only a Russian legal entity that satisfies a set of requirements will be allowed to purchase it following these rules.

Sakhalin-1
PSA for the Chayvo, Odoptu and Arkutun-Daginskoye fields on the shelf of the island. Sakhalin (Sakhalin-1 project) was signed in 1995 and is valid until 2055 / Exxon Mobil Corporation

Exxon’s deadline for selling its part in the “Sakhalin-1” project was extended to the autumn of 2023 by Russian President Vladimir Putin in April. In the past, it was presumed that the government would conduct the evaluation and sale within four months after deciding to refuse the stake transfer. This deadline was pushed back to the middle of November of this year thanks to a directive issued on April 5 that extended it by a year.

In the autumn of 2022, Russia brought under Russian authority the operator of the “Sakhalin-1” project. In Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, it was re-registered as “Sakhalin-1,” and the controlling company of the operator was renamed “Sakhalinmorneftegaz-shelf.” Previously, it had been known as “Exxon Neftegaz.”

On October 14, 2022, the limited liability company “Sakhalin-1” became the project’s new operator when it was registered. The Russian government approved the transfer of 20% of the share in the new operator “Sakhalin-1” to the Indian company ONGC Videsh Limited and 30% of the stake to the Japanese company Sakhalin Oil and Gas Development Co. Ltd. (Sodeco). Both of these companies have stated that they intend to continue their involvement in the project. RN-Astra is responsible for 8.5% of the project, while “Sakhalinmorneftegaz-shelf” is responsible for 11.5%. Exxon Neftegas, which is a subsidiary of ExxonMobil, had a thirty per cent stake in the “Sakhalin-1” project; however, ExxonMobil stated in March 2022 that it would withdraw from both the project and Russia altogether.

Frontier India News Network
Frontier India News Networkhttps://frontierindia.com/briefs
Frontier India News Network is the in-house news collection and distribution agency.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Sukhoi’s UTS-OAB “Flying Truck” Drone Takes Off Vertically Like a Helicopter, Flies Like an Airplane

According to the United Aircraft Corporation (UAC) Telegram channel, flight tests of a prototype of a heavy vertical takeoff and landing unmanned aerial system...

Diehl Defence, KAI to market and integrate IRIS-T missiles on FA-50, KF-21 aircraft

Diehl Defence and Korea Aerospace Industries (KAI) have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) stating that their goal is to increase their marketing and...

Leonardo Leads Europe’s Military Space Cloud Project  MILSCA – Powerful AIs and Supercomputers Heading to Orbit  

In the future, a fleet of advanced satellites circle Earth in low orbit, which will house powerful supercomputers, cutting-edge artificial intelligence systems, and massive...

Denmark Sends All Artillery to Ukraine, Urges Europe to Follow Suit

"The Danish Armed Forces have already transferred all of their artillery to Ukraine," said Danish Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen during her speech at the...

Russia Practices Rapid Runway Repairs While NATO Flexes Military Muscle In Europe

The Russian military reportedly conducted special drills to see if their airfields were ready to defend themselves against possible attacks from Ukraine and NATO...